The State of Passports

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The State of Passports

Post by Mother Nature on Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:56 am

At this point there are a handful of players still active. Obviously, not enough to make a community, and a game founded on the idea of players constructing communities of work won't work with 5 players. (I don't actually know how active how many of you are; this forum has a downright dreadful statistics page.)

However, here's my take on the state of the game:

1. Starting with nothing was a bad choice. Not so much the thematic 'nothing' as the mechanical 'nothing'. I had no guidelines as to what to expect from the world, and provided very few hooks. I'm really happy + impressed with all the things you tried! Exploring outwards was a given, but the creation of a storytelling circle as well as the weird hole-based religion (?) were inspiring, as were all the initial resource chains suggested. It's given me a lot of ideas.

2. Working and creating jobs is too ephemeral & too free-form. That is: there's not enough social structure. Originally the intent was for 'bosses' to be more important and for 'jobs' to be more like reasonably permanent workplaces. The way things are now has led to a bunch of short-lived calls to action that never really link up.

3. Not enough interesting player agency. Things are moving really slowly. Maybe everyone should be able to make three work posts in a day. Maybe I've been making jobs too small + too slow? (e.g. you shouldn't be picking up a handful of branches in a day -- you should be cutting down five trees and scaring off some wolves to boot)

I haven't been acting as a player much though, so let me know what problems you've seen from your perspective.

And should I stay on course and try to get more players, or make some major changes and reboot the whole thing? (I guess either way, more players is a good idea.)

Mother Nature
Admin

View user profile http://passports.fullboards.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The State of Passports

Post by Ereboz on Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:46 am

I was encouraged to give this a try. I did.
After 6-7 days, i feel i made little progress.

Metagaming - knowing it was called passports - made me wonder if there was more to do than just survive. But gathering stones, then branches, then knapping, and then needing to wait for the boss to give you the axeheads; seems unfulfilling.

I had hoped to brew those indigo leaves into tea. But i cannot guess how long it might take. This was my goal:
Stones - Branches - Axehead - Axe - Fuel - Clay - Cookware - Furnace - Firepit - Boil Water - Brew Tea - Drink Tea - Meditate in the centre of the Old Grove.

Ereboz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mother Nature on Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:38 pm

Yeah. I didn't intend for things to be so slow, but... I also didn't go out of my way to make things happen quickly.

I had no good plans! I didn't really know how this would go. Now I do.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll make sure in the next incarnation the things you can do aren't a waste of time, but are actually interesting actions.

By the way, that sounds really neat. I'll definitely have indigo tea in passtest 0.0.2

Mother Nature
Admin

View user profile http://passports.fullboards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ereboz on Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:41 pm

>I'll definitely have indigo tea in passtest 0.0.2
lol

Ereboz

View user profile

Back to top Go down