Suggestion: any way to do something secretly?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Suggestion: any way to do something secretly?

Post by tanyaxshort on Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:53 pm

So, it'd be interesting if people could do secret things? Like, sneakily, and/or have a chance of failure? Maybe not stealing stuff, as that'd get too aggro, but ... sabotage, gift-giving, "anonymous" messages left, etc.

It would probably be too high-maintenance to make it all go through a central secret-keeper/GM, so here's some other ideas:

* some way (a bot?) to anonymously post your action as Someone, either to an existing thread or as a new thread/job (whichever's easier)
* players are allowed to post on anothers' behalf (i.e. "It's not me, but Someone ________", once per day
* a "secret action" resource, limited to/distributed once every week?? still redeemed through messaging GM though... not scalable with more players...

tanyaxshort

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Suggestion: any way to do something secretly?

Post by Mother Nature on Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:07 am

I definitely definitely want to be able to do this (eventually when I build my own little forum.), and I like the suggestions!

Ideally, your inventory would (probably?) be private, for example.
I want it to be moderately easy to build a private forum and somewhat harder to build an actually hidden one.
Secret posts & actions are of definite interest to me, too.

Re "too aggro": I've been thinking a lot about this and my planned solution is basically to make it impossible to directly target an individual (for things such as stealing & attacking). You can tear down a forum, a job thread, maybe even target "anyone who works at this job", but you can't stick someone's name into something like attacking or stealing.

-

As for the short-term solutions, I dunno how to make a bot... I could allow guest posting but that seems likely to cause problems >_> I like the idea of posting on another's behalf, though it makes true anonymity kind of unachievable. Maybe that's for the best!

Mother Nature
Admin

View user profile http://passports.fullboards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mokesmoe on Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:52 am

I don't think it's necessary to have any short-term solutions. If you are doing anything in a public area then everyone will know about it. If you wan't to do stuff in secret then you need your own private forum.

I assume you can just build a tiny house and only let people you like in, and that could be a secret forum that you can invite people into. I wonder how easy it would be to invite people though. If you were made mod of just that subforum could you invite people into it? I wouldn't bet on this forum being that useful.

We shouldn't really worry about private stuff needing to go through the GM though, as everything public already does. This forum version of the game wasn't built to scale up well.
mokesmoe

View user profile http://mokesmoe.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mother Nature on Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:41 pm

My limitations: I can create groups who have exclusive access to & knowledge of one or more subforums, and I can make a single person the 'moderator' of such a group.

So basically, yeah, I can assign a moderator of a secret subforum.

If you wanted multiple moderators of a subforum though, the only way to do that would be to create multiple groups -- one for each moderator -- and that's a bit much, I think.

Mother Nature
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tanyaxshort on Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:43 pm

Wouldn't the GM would have to monitor an extra forum then, per person? Is that really less work than just saying I can PM you my secret action?

FOR EXAMPLE: if I want to fill in the glorious hole when nobody's looking

tanyaxshort

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mother Nature on Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:47 pm

It'd be fine if actions were one-off things but most large-scale actions are meant to be collective.

Or at least... that was the ORIGINAL PLAN, but I could see individual actions becoming more important.

Mother Nature
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top