JOB THREADS, HOW TO WORK

View previous topic View next topic Go down

JOB THREADS, HOW TO WORK

Post by Mother Nature on Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:37 am

1. You can start a job thread anytime. It costs nothing. Make a thread with [JOB?] at the beginning of the subject line to indicate that it's a new and unknown job.
If you want, you can copy another job that's already running.
I come by at least once a day (generally more) to turn [JOB?] threads into [JOB-XX] threads.

a [JOB-10] thread means that after 10 replies, the job is done.
a [JOB-3x] thread means that every 3 replies, the job does something major (usually, produces some items)
a [JOB-1x/5] thread - yeah, it's a bit clumsy - means that something happens every 1 reply, and after 5 it will be done.

2. You may only reply to a job thread once per day. If you reply to one job, you can't reply to another. These replies are known as 'work posts' or just 'work', and I can't stress this enough: you can only work once per day. (If you missed yesterday by accident, feel free to make two posts today, though. Just don't make a habit of it! and make sure in your second post you point out why you're working twice today.)

2b. If you're just working a job, only handle 'When you work this job' stuff yourself.
'When you work this job:
Consume X
Produce Y'
This means that anytime you make a work post, you get to consume the requisite materials to produce whatever the 'Y' is.

Alright, let's get back to creating job threads...

3. When you create a job, you're the boss. It's not a huge responsibility, so don't worry too much. Basically what it means is you manage all the materials for the job.
'Every 5:
Consume X
Produce Y'
You're responsible for having all the materials required for the job in your inventory.
Likewise, all things produced by a communal effort go directly to the boss (you).
You need to do this yourself every 5 (or however many) posts.

... I recommend you say in your opening post how you're going to distribute the produced items, because the default is now "you keep them all and nobody else gets anything"!

---

Okay, I think that's it. I had some examples up here before... but I think they were pretty out of date.
Check out The Field for some example jobs. I'll add some examples here soon.

Last edited by Mother Nature on Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:28 pm; edited 2 times in total

Mother Nature
Admin

View user profile http://passports.fullboards.com

Back to top Go down

Re: JOB THREADS, HOW TO WORK

Post by Mother Nature on Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:52 am

You can only donate to a job at the time you work there. This isn't perfect. I've disabled editing, by the way, so make sure you get your posts right the first time!

To donate, just say what you're donating (make sure it stands out. bold it or use a diff. colour, put it in a different paragraph, etc) and remove it from your signature. (see the ITEMS & INVENTORY thread for more detail)

Oh, also... [JOB?] posts don't count toward the work count and making one doesn't count as your work for the day. Just check the REPLIES value on the left of the thread name in the forum view to see how much work has been done!

Mother Nature
Admin

View user profile http://passports.fullboards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mokesmoe on Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:28 am

I am wondering how one would make jobs where the job maker compensates the workers for their work. (eg. [JOB?] build a house for me, receive a rock for working.)
I have a few ideas about how to do it, though none of them are perfect.

1. After someone does the work, give them the item through normal item giving means.
  Cons - need to trust the employer to pay (though this isn't necessarily a bad thing), extra hassle of giving/receiving items elsewhere

2. Have a custom currency be a reward for working. The job maker can create the currency at will, so they don't need to worry about removing it from their own inventory. This means the process of gaining the reward doesn't require input from the job maker, letting workers add the currency when they work just like a resource collection job.
  Cons - The job maker needs to already have a well-defined currency for this to work, and even if the job maker sells items for said currency it's just a more roundabout version of option 1.

3. The job maker donates items to the job when making it, and the workers can collect those items themselves when they work.
  Cons - If you are making a job that isn't ongoing you wouldn't know how much work it would take and therefore wouldn't know how much to donate. This would also require some more defined rules about cancelling jobs early. Unlike normal jobs that can just sit around until someone does them, the job maker has items invested into the job and would want to get them back if the job doesn't look like it's going to get finished.

Option 2 would be the obvious choice for anyone who owns a custom currency and would clearly be the worst option for anyone without, so we can ignore that one.

Option 3 would be the best if we could sort out the figuring out how many things to donate problem. The fact that you can't post makes things awkward, but there could possibly be a back and forth edit to define it eg: 1.make [JOB?] post mentioning it will be paid work; 2. Mother Nature says in an edit how many work-days it will take; 3. the job maker donates the items removing them from their inventory, or cancels the job if they can't afford it; 4. If the items are donated Mother Nature opens the job.

In an actual videogame setting I assume you would go with option 3, as you could handle it all in a job creation screen where you could see the time required before posting the job. (Unless you plan to manually define all jobs on the fly in the game too, which I believe would be infeasible.)

EDIT: Additionally, is it possible to donate items to a job as while making it for other reasons too? After the needed amount is announced either there's some left that still needs to be donated or you take back the excess.

mokesmoe

View user profile http://mokesmoe.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top